1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice
  3. Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
    Dismiss Notice

Ossein Ram

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Belmarduk, Mar 20, 2018.

1. Belmarduk

Belmarduk Adventurer

My Ram has got over 80 necro now - why does it never cast vengeful Spirit ?
    Anyone have a Ram that has been watched that it casts this spell ?
    Thankyou

2. Slayvite

Slayvite Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Supporter Stratics Legend

As far as i am aware, pets cannot cast Summon spells.
    ......the pvp'ers would cry more. :devil:

3. Belmarduk

Belmarduk Adventurer

This is exactly what I did not want to hear... :(
    To nerf a pet just because of pvp is really a No-Go.... - Could they not atleast have coded it that no summons could be cast on a fel-ruleset ? That would be better than nothing..

Thx anyhow for answer ;)

4. North_LS

North_LS Journeyman

revenant requires three follower slots, not sure how you'd get around that. should pets with magery summon elementals and daemons? should pets with mysticism pop rising colossi? should those summons then be able to summon more things if they have access to a branch of magic?

im thinking no summons for NPCs is intentional and has nothing to do with pvp.

5. Pawain

Pawain Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

North LS. Breaking hearts all over the internet.

Anon McDougle likes this.
  6. Silent Singer

Silent Singer Certifiable

I don't believe there is a precedent for any pets casting summons. I'm open to being wrong here, but since day one I think magery enabled pets (dragons, nightmares) could not cast summon spells. I don't think there has ever been indication other wise. Imagine if you had a mystic cu 5 slot that could also cast a 5 slot Rising Colossus! Yikes!

7. Tyrath

Tyrath Grand Inquisitor

You are correct and it should remain as it is and has always been. The one exception I wished for on necro pets was to be able to animate dead........ since they do not take control slots and are not controlled.

8. MalagAste

MalagAste Belaern d'Zhaunil
    Governor Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter Royal Knight

Exactly...

Drakelord likes this.
  9. Belmarduk

Belmarduk Adventurer

Ok it makes sense to a certain extent that pets should not be able to cast summons - I was somehow looking forward to my Ram casting VS when over 80 necro
    Slightly disapointing but still one of my best pets :)
    Other note: Shame that the T-Rex did not make live as tameable - T-Rex would also have been fun as pet ;)

Drakelord likes this.
  10. Nexus

Nexus Site Support
    Administrator Moderator Professional Stratics Veteran Wiki Moderator Stratics Legend

It would make house hiding interesting...

azoA0.gif

Drakelord and Clog|Mordain like this.
  11. Keith of Sonoma

Keith of Sonoma Crazed Zealot
    Governor

If I remember correctly, when the "taming publish" first hit TC, Pets with Mysticism COULD summon a Rising Colossus. It didn't take long at all for that to get changed! LOL

Tyrath and Fridgster like this.
  12. Spartan

Spartan Seasoned Veteran

And in the BS conference room, the conversation went something like this:
    Dev #1: Watched a pet summon a Rising Colossus last night! That was pretty interesting!
    Dev #2: I'll bet. How did the players handle that?
    Dev #1: Went over well. I can see some fun times in the future.
    Unknown Person: Nerf it to death!! It makes too much sense for a Mysticism spell to be cast by a pet with that skill! We can't have that at all. Do it! <and they walk out the door>

Pawain and Keith of Sonoma like this.
  13. PlayerSkillFTW

PlayerSkillFTW Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

The Ossein Ram has the problem that if it knows Necromancy, it casts Corpse Skin, which reduces it's own damage output. Corpse Skin increases Physical/Cold Resist by 10, and the Ossein Ram does 50% Physical/25% Cold/25% Energy damage, so 75% of it's melee damage output is being negatively effected by it's own Corpse Skin casts. Sadly, a lot of Necro pets have this problem.

Although, one thing that i found hilarious when recently training another Ossein Ram, is that they can learn Chivalry. An Undead Ram with Chivalry, lol. Although, that might have interesting interplay with their Life Leech ability. Chiv pets have high damage output, and that should synergize well with the Ossein Ram's Life Leech ability, to also increase his survivability.

Tabby Kapak likes this.
  14. whitesmith

whitesmith Lore Master

A necro ram has a hell of an area affect though!!!

15. Coco_Zamis_DF

Coco_Zamis_DF Seasoned Veteran
    Governor Stratics Veteran

Nobody Cares about that magical creatures don't cast energy vortex. I don't understand this discussion.
    Should a summoned demon cast another one? No!!

16. Acid Rain

Acid Rain Lore Keeper

Can someone sum up why the ram over say.. a Cu ? or some other more common pet? I'm intentionally ignorant to this newest taming madness. It's just to complicated for my desire to even try.

Every tamer I know is farming/training the Cu. I'm curious what strengths a ram would have over the more traditional or commonly seen pets. Thanks :)

17. Pawain

Pawain Grand Poobah

They like many other trainable pets do not get enough points to make a trained pet equal to the top 5 pet types.

Rams would not be overpowered with 1501 more points.

MalagAste and Tyrath like this.
  18. Acid Rain

Acid Rain Lore Keeper

What exactly are the top 5 pet types currently please?

19. Phantasmagorian

Phantasmagorian Seasoned Veteran

cu, naja... imho

Acid Rain likes this.
  20. MalagAste

Governor Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter Royal Knight

Cu, Naja, Fire Beetle, Giant Beetle, and after that it's hard... I personally love my Unicorn. Lesser Hiryu might rank up there... depending.

But the GD is no longer king.

21. Phantasmagorian

Phantasmagorian Seasoned Veteran

Besides the ones mentioned you can do well with 2 slot mares.. and for specific battles there are some intetesting options. I like taking my super phoenix out to icy lands and foes.

Acid Rain likes this.
  22. skett

skett Sage
    Professional Supporter

I wish you could get the rams at 1 slot and take them to 5 and also ride them

Phantasmagorian and celticus like this.
  23. celticus

celticus Lore Keeper

That I have asked about long ago..Would be awesome..No reply from Dev city..

Belmarduk and Phantasmagorian like this.
  24. PlayerSkillFTW

Stratics Veteran

The Chiv Cu is a good general purpose pet, but it's not the best Tank pet nor the best DPS pet. Another good general purpose pet is the Najasaurus.

The best Tank pets are the Saurosaurus (they can spawn with up to 85 Physical Resist and 90 Fire Resist, plus they come with Life Leech), and Feint Cu (particularly against something like Exodus). The Ossein Ram with Chiv also has some good tanking potential. I tested one out on TC, and they do a good bit of damage with Chiv+AI, and are pretty tanky as well considering they have Life Leech, so half the damage they inflict heals themselves.

The best single target DPS pets would be the Rune Corruption+AI Fire Beetle (especially when you're hunting in a group), Wrest Mastery Fire Beetle (for lower Fire Resist foes), Rune Corruption+AI Frost Mite (for Cold weak foes), or Crimson/Platinum Drakes with Chiv+AI (pick the one that hits your opponent's weakest Resist).

The best pets for AoE, are the Necromage+Poison Breath Dread Spider (make sure to train Poisoning to GM before switching to Necromage), and potentially a Frenzied Whirlwind+Poison Breath Najasaurus (i'm still testing this one out on TC).

I have over 35 pets in my stables, and most of them are specialized for hunting certain creatures or bosses.

Acid Rain likes this.
  25. Clog|Mordain

Clog|Mordain Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

And I am so happy about that

26. PlayerSkillFTW

Stratics Veteran

So, just finished testing a Najasaurus with Poison Breath and Frenzied Whirlwind for it's AoE potential, and i'm pretty impressed. That Najasaurus actually has more AoE damage output than the Dread Spider with Necromage+Poison Breath, plus the Najasaurus is a lot tankier. While not quite capable of putting out the AoE damage of a Sampire with WW+Hit Area wep, or a Necro spamming Wither, the Najasaurus with Poison Breath+Frenzied Whirlwind is still the tamer's best pet for pumping out AoE damage.

Acid Rain likes this.
  27. Pawain

Pawain Grand Poobah

Thats why you do not see anyone using them. And why the devs should lower their starting slots so they can be used for fun.

troglet and MalagAste like this.
  28. PlayerSkillFTW

Stratics Veteran

Yeah, Dread Spiders end up as AoE glass cannons (except against Poison damage, which they have 100% Resist too). My Dread Spider, Lolth, has about 300 Health, and i use it during the first 2-3 levels of the Dragon Turtle spawn. I run Consume Damage on it, so the first two levels can't even damage it, and i have to bandy the Dread Spider during the 3rd level. It does a lot of damage though with Poison Breath inflicting Lethal Poison (Lvl 5) to everything on screen, and casting Withers and Poison Strikes. It also casts Conduit, but that is unfortunately bugged for pets and doesn't work (the single target Necro spells aren't chaining off of it). Once the spawn reaches Lvl 4, i switch to a RC+AI Frost Mite.

During that recent Frenzied Whirlwind+Poison Breath Najasaurus test though, i took him to the Dragon Turtle Champ, and he did even better than the Dread Spider, both in terms of pumping out AoE damage, as well as surviving.

whitesmith likes this.
  29. MalagAste

Because the Dread Spider seriously needs to be a 2 slot pet to begin with... why the DEVs insist that it's a "bad" pet and that it warrants a level 3 is beyond my comprehension... unless I'm missing something the pet seriously is not worth training up sadly... because I wanted it to be a great pet... so disappointed... much like the horrid disappointment it was to finally get to tame a shadow wyrm and it sucks so bad its not even funny... baffling... I guess the DEVs really do want everyone sticking with the giant dragon rather than using smaller footprint pets.

celticus and skett like this.