1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice
  3. Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
    Dismiss Notice

May have to close my accounts

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Jirel of Joiry, Jul 17, 2015.

1. Merlin

Merlin The Enchanter
    Moderator Professional Stratics Veteran Supporter Campaign Patron UWF

I will certainly agree that every place, person and situation is different. However... I just can't help my disdain for this new class of young people taking up the most ridiculous majors and then crying foul about not being able to pay their debts. Going far as demanding the banks have to forgive it. However, that's an entirely different topic though.

$30 bucks an hour before taxes at Starbucks, not including tips? That's quite a lot for a barista to make, nearly ~$63K per year. Is she a manager or something? If she is in NY/NJ/CT area and has an accounting degree, she should really pursue making use of her degree. Most entry level positions at my company are in the $60-$65K per year, more if you are coming in with CPA. Most accounting jobs very well paid - I hope she decides to make use of her degree.

Good luck with getting the Pearl Harbor job! My great-uncle was there on December 7, 1941... It's on my long term plans to get there some day. :)

2. Kirthag

Kirthag Former Stratics Publisher
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend Campaign Benefactor

Yes, I know. I was born here, raised here, live here, struggle to stay here, miss driving across state lines (counties even) and do have a strong desire for very high mountains. Spent 12 years on CONUS (from Massachusetts to Florida and all states in between) and got my okole back home - because Dorothy was right, there is NO place like home. I watched rents go from $475/mo for a 3B/2BA home to over $3k for that same property in 10 years. I remember a gallon of milk being only 75 cent... now it is pushing $10. Commute from my little pineapple village to my once posh office job was around a half hour - now that is about 2 hours. Regardless of how under appreciated I am professionally, how crazy the land values are, how stupid the city planners can be, and how disgusted I get with tourists - this is my home. No, not Hawaiian by blood, but my heart and soul will forever call these itty bitty rocks in the middle of the Pacific HOME.

Believe me @Lord Frodo - I am more than aware... as are several other locals who actually play UO. :)

As for that education thing, @Merlin - aye, I am with you on that boat. These kids get a government guaranteed student loan (read: I pay for their college on their promise they will pay back) and then they do this. Our country is full of entitled people, from the career-welfare-mom to the guy so smart he runs circles around the disability/mental health/SSI folks and never works a day in his adult life. I know both kinds of people all over the country.

I digress - this thread is about @Jirel of Joiry and her issue. What I suggest - get that degree, even if it is "only liberal arts". UO is a game, entertainment, regardless of how passionate we all get about it. Pack up all you can, ask your most trusted friends to hold onto what you cannot, and come back when you able. Hopefully UO will still be here and you won't have to jump through gawdawful hoops when the account system changes (soon™).

#52 Kirthag, Jul 21, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2015
    Merlin likes this.
  3. GarthGrey

GarthGrey Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

I don't have a personal relationship with the old staff. :) I fully expect Riyana to lock this one any time now :)

4. GarthGrey

GarthGrey Grand Poobah

Pay stub or it didn't happen :)

5. GarthGrey

GarthGrey Grand Poobah

You've had too much Moonglow Red... :)

Aran likes this.
  6. Zosimus

Zosimus Grand Inquisitor
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

and I stepped on a Kelmo...err..I meant ant earlier :)

7. Zuckuss

Zuckuss Order | Chaos
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend K^S

As with many of the old staff whom some of you have taken this opportunity to lash out at, it was a combination of Petra and kelmo whom I have learned from and continue to emulate myself after to this day. It's easy to sit back and throw stones with limited amounts of information. You all may get to see a thread get locked or a post disappear, but you don't get to see the other 95% of information used when making our decisions that we see. If you all got to see everything laid out on the table, perhaps the assumptions of flawed judgment and abuse would be put to rest. Unfortunately, whether we like it or not, you do not get to see all of the information thus making the job of a moderator about as thankless as a social worker or a tow-truck driver. The best that any of us can hope is that we are being accused equally by all parties of bias and nepotism. It is about the time where we are getting accused equally that we can successfully evaluate that we are indeed doing our job correctly.

I think some of you will understand that. Others wont. Nevertheless, despite the continuous beatings we receive, we continue to come back for the purpose of benefiting you, the community.

8. Gamer_Goblin

Please show us what there is to emulate from this post below. I've read the thread many times and I have no idea what he's referencing. Captn Norrington had already cleaned it up before he posted.

And if he hadn't posted this we wouldn't even be having this off topic discussion in the thread.

Zosimus, Kirthag and Lord Frodo like this.