1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice
  3. Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
    Dismiss Notice

Guild Rank Questions....

Discussion in 'UHall' started by PinkPandora, Apr 9, 2018.

1. PinkPandora

PinkPandora Rares Fest Host | LS April 2011
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter

I have recently noticed this posting: Guild - UOGuide, the Ultima Online Encyclopedia

It has a nice chart about the different ranks of guild members...
    First question is... Why can't the Warlord status do everything the Emissary can do? Can someone explain the logic for this please?

Other question: if a guild leader is MIA, how can you get another guild leader? Someone mentioned that the Warlord automatically gets guild leader status if the original guild leader quits; is this true?

Other question: ....but if the regular guild leader is only MIA vs. no longer a member.... how do we get an active guild leader?

thanks for the insight folks :)

2. ShriNayne

ShriNayne Slightly Crazed

I don't think that always works as they intended, two years ago when my husband and I came back we had a bit of a problem when he was deleting a character that we forgot was the Guild Leader, one of my sister's characters was promoted to Leader by the game mechanics and at that point she hadn't played UO for 5 years! It totally ignored our other 10 characters which had all been logged in during the previous few weeks.

3. PinkPandora

thanks for the feedback....
    i still have the question in my head... Why can't the Warlord status do everything the Emissary can do? Can someone explain the logic for this please?

4. Poo

Poo The Grandest of the PooBah’s
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend Campaign Benefactor 4H

there is also a bit of randomness to the system as @Tina Small can attest to, as a couple times a random character will get the Guild Leader for what seems like no reason at all.
    as with most stuff in UO there are gremlins in the machine!

5. Captn Norrington

Captn Norrington Stratics Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Stratics Veteran Campaign Supporter The Valorian Knights

It was supposed to be a way to prevent the warlord from adding more fighters in the middle of a battle. If the guild war is going on and each side has a fair fight of 10 people each, but then the warlord suddenly adds 20 more previously non-guilded people or alternate characters to the guild in the middle of the fight it was considered an unfair tactic to use against the other side.

It was also intended to be a "separation of powers" type of thing. The warlord is technically the 2nd in command of the guild because it's the next highest rank under guildmaster. So if the warlord could both declare war and recruit people, he would have exactly the same powers as the actual guildmaster, thereby making him a second guildmaster. By removing the warlord's ability to recruit and the emissary's ability to declare war, the power of the guildmaster rank is preserved since they are the only one that can do both.

6. PinkPandora

ok, Captn, that actually makes my logic brain happy! thank you for sharing that insight. I couldn't figure it out on my own.

Captn Norrington likes this.
  7. Acid Rain

Acid Rain Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

8. Victim of Siege

Victim of Siege Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Safe Haven

I always thought it was his dashing good looks, who knew