1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice
  3. Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
    Dismiss Notice

Gold Seller Is In General Chat

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Tina Small, Apr 6, 2018.

1. Uriah Heep

Uriah Heep Grand Poobah
    Governor Stratics Veteran Alumni

10 accounts? Well, that's all they (BS) can afford to lose for this year...

Kas Althume, S_S, Lord Frodo and 2 others like this.
  2. AdamPD

AdamPD Adventurer
    Stratics Veteran

Logged into UO for the first time in over a decade and the first thing I saw was the spam about codes/gold and stuff for sale, I can understand why people get annoyed by it.

Cymidei, Gridley, petemage and 3 others like this.
  3. skett

skett Sage
    Professional Supporter

Ya honestly the books I don’t mind (can find gold way cheaper) but the spamming in chat has to stop

:rant2:

Lord Frodo likes this.
  4. skett

skett Sage
    Professional Supporter

so How do you report chat spammers

5. Tina Small

Tina Small Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran 4H

There's a 200-character box you can pull up from the Help menu to write up why you think a character is breaking the Terms of Service. Don't bother, though, trying to read EA's definition of what constitutes an exploit or cheating to help you with your write-up, as the link in that part of the Help menu takes you to a "page not found" message in the support section of the EA website. (http://support.ea.com/cgi-bin/ea.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=42)

Lord Frodo and skett like this.
  6. celticus

celticus Lore Keeper

Is a sign of the times: People just want to pay RL $ for things the game provides..For what? To put up a show on the bank-sitting task? They skip the fun and challenge that the game provides by going through the normal and legal way. These players are who the gold mongers and gold spammers are catering to I guess.
    A while back I met a new player in New Haven and offered help and advice : He informed me he is NOT interested in any help or advice respectfully, and that he just wanted to explore and learn this massive world by himself, and learn how to deal with the challenges. Later I understood what he meant. The fun in the game is NOT paying to get gold or items PS etc, but just play the game and face the challenges.

7. Captn Norrington

Captn Norrington Stratics Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Stratics Veteran Campaign Supporter The Valorian Knights

I've run a guild that recruits new players for 5+ years, and every single time a person has said that when we tried to help them they later ended up being one of the best guild members we had. It's always been really impressive watching them go from completely new to one of our best members within a few months doing everything the way it was meant to be done without help or the use of cheats or gold buying. Almost all of my emissary's started out that way and went on to teach other guildies how to be self-sufficient the honest way, earning the respect of the guild and promotions along the way.

For comparison, most of the recruits who constantly wanted things to be done for them and given to them ended up quitting the game within a few months even after getting what they wanted, and generally didn't contribute much while they were around. They also had a tendency to get into arguments with people who wouldn't just hand over whatever free stuff they wanted. A few ended up getting caught trying to scam or steal what they wanted too.

A person's mentality and ethics apparently make a pretty huge difference, even in a game.

8. ShriNayne

ShriNayne Lore Master

This is so true! We see a lot of begging from new players and it shouldn't be encouraged as it really does spoil the game for them. If people work to achieve things they will appreciate them more!

Lord Frodo and Captn Norrington like this.
  9. Thoronnar

Thoronnar Journeyman

[​IMG]

:hahaha::hahaha::hahaha::hahaha::hahaha::hahaha::hahaha:

10. Syncros

Syncros Visitor

There's quite a few things the devs can do to curb/make it harder for gold sellers to do their thing but it looks like such things aren't on their list of things to do. I guess its cause they are paying customers one way or another and will hurt their bottom line so nothing is ever done.

11. Lady Kyo

Lady Kyo Journeyman

WIth EJ, he wont have to make new accounts every 2 weeks. I m sure he will stick with 1 name from now on. Avatar 34 on Cats

DevilsOwn likes this.
  12. Fridgster

Fridgster Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

While I really don't have an issue personally against RMT this to me is a problem. One of the first things an EJ account holder will see is a character named Avatar promoting gold sales. One could argue that a new player could assume that this is a service Broadsword is promoting. One could also argue since BS has done absolutly nothing to prevent this advertising of services that they are indeed endorsing it. If something ever happened where said site screwed a person over for a large amount of money I could see BS being responsible for this.

13. Lore

Lore Lore Keeper

WoW has the same problem, if they couldn't stop it, what makes you think this team can?

14. DevilsOwn

DevilsOwn Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

no matter which number shows up, we tell him we miss one of the others

Uriah Heep and Fridgster like this.
  15. petemage

petemage Lore Master

I have fond memories of *VK* though I was only in the alliance through another guild.

I also always loved helping new players and adventuring with them (maybe thats why I ended up among those people from VK, HHYC and friends). My focus was always not spoiling anything for them. There was this one guy, super excited about UO. I took him to s spot where he could place a small house, we had some good week of fun going to dungeons, exploring and whatever he had on his agenda.

One day I come to his house and he is packing. Telling me some guild recruited him. They gave him an 18x18 in Malas. He was wearing a Lt. Sash and all the fancy armor. This was the last time I have seen him online. I presume he got spoiled and quit shortly after :(

16. Effort

Effort Visitor

Remember - the only site that spams your general chat is based in Russia. There's plenty of sites that do RMT, but only one of them directly spams you. Easiest thing for the devs to do would be to add the website URL to the swear filter as a repercussion for the years of doing this. NO other site does this, I would imagine out of respect to the community - why would you spam the people you want to shop at your store?

Silly Russians only know spam :p

17. kaio

kaio Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

I don't really see the reason why everyone has to be victims from gold-sellers/toxic players spamming a chat with their crap.
    As usual BS/EA does things the wrong way, nothing new there. Same applies when they made the chat system.
    So dear BS/EA instead of wasting more energy on breaking stuff like you really love to do, how about you fixed the chat system ?

My suggestion is, and i've suggested it before.
    Appoint chat moderators, how frekking hard can it be ?
    Give selected players the power to mute/kick toxic players/spammers.

Phantasmagorian likes this.
  18. Wing Zero Straight Edge

Wing Zero Straight Edge Seasoned Veteran

That was one of my main points in my EJ video, these Endless Trial account are now allowed in general chat.
    Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo messy already!

Lady Kyo likes this.
  19. DJAd

DJAd Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Exactly. I can't believe this is a 68 page thread. Block them and move on.

Rimeny likes this.
  20. Eon Blue Apocalypse

Eon Blue Apocalypse Adventurer

Why can't they just jarble out the website and any variations of it?

21. AdamPD

AdamPD Adventurer
    Stratics Veteran

Everytime I see the spammer pop up, it's always the same website (U*****C****.com) being spammed.

Even the most basic of chat has the ability to block keywords, so I'm surprised they are able to keep posting.

22. celticus

celticus Lore Keeper

May be something devs could do with url blocking for the spammer(s)? Not sure what can effectively be done, or how to do it..

23. Lore

Lore Lore Keeper

Maybe they can just focus on making the game fun again and just letting this minor annoyance go. As players, just take a breath, close your eyes, think about how much this really affects you, and continue playing.

celticus likes this.
  24. MissEcho

MissEcho Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

Never bought 1 gp from ANY site, nor item, nor scroll nor vet reward.

As for those players saying you NEED to or you can't compete that is utter BS.

25. Lord Frodo

Lord Frodo Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

And only players that support cheating, which you have admitted to in this thread, would say this.

26. Uriah Heep

Uriah Heep Grand Poobah
    Governor Stratics Veteran Alumni

I dont' have a script, wouldn't know how to write one. But I must say I don't understand how this effects anyone's gameplay anymore than someone spamming they have a piece of armor for sale or anything else.

Geeez, don't buy anything from him/her. but it doesn't rock the world upside down when he spams it once in a while in chat. Just move on and play people, let the devs work on important stuff instead of worrying about stupid stuff like spam in chat.

celticus likes this.
  27. Lore

Lore Lore Keeper

You hurt me with your accusations.

28. Spartan

Spartan Sage

I don't play all that often but useless spamming every 15 minutes or so coming across my screen IS an annoyance. I'm not even in chat and get it. Not good.

29. Lord Frodo

Lord Frodo Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

The truth really does hurt then.

30. Feather

Feather Visitor

Is the spamming annoying? (and possibly breaking tos?) Yes.

But it's also the only thing I see in any channel.. Very little activity in Catskills that I'm seeing. Perhaps I'm on at the wrong times/locations.

31. celticus

celticus Lore Keeper

In ATL there are wall to wall people, both banksitting and playing, new and old players. Also in ATL despite rumors to the contrary, lots of people help new/returning players. Other shards are picking up a little, but you got to hit them at prime time..

32. celticus

celticus Lore Keeper

Gold sellers..Feel sorry for the poor person trying to make a buck and make a living by selling $4-$8 virtual UO gold and items..
    The thought comes to mind of a disabled US army vet and his family with a similar website a few years back..Had his picture on front page, also a young child..on one hand.
    On the other hand the rumor in Stratics that a Gold website is a Russian botting and farming one.
    So hard to stop this even with URL sniffing filtering, since anyone can use proxies that change URL. A tough problem for our team to address, esp. now with relatively open access to UO..Not easy to control this issue. Either the spamming part, or the dropping of the books in game advertising the Gold sellers..Frankly I cannot see how. What I think is grossly unfair is to accuse UO staff being negligent about this, or even being a part of this..If someone has IT background and know-how, what could be some suggestions?

33. WootSauce

WootSauce Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

[​IMG]

34. Lord Frodo

Lord Frodo Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

DONT YOU DARE COMPARE THIS GARBAGE TO A DISABLED VET, YOU HAVE ZERO CLUE WHAT THAT PERSON WENT THROUGH.

celticus likes this.
  35. Lex Darion

Lex Darion Journeyman

No disrespect to service people.

But seriously, you "dare" someone to not make comparisons? Chill.

HoneythornGump likes this.
  36. celticus

celticus Lore Keeper

I am with you Frodo..No real comparison made..But your sentiment is correct, and I meant maybe we have some heart after all for people whose life circumstances have forced to try to make a living this way and hesitated to post it this way fearing the storm that it may cause..

37. celticus

celticus Lore Keeper

Any ways..
    Are there any suggestions from technically minded and IT folks on how this can be dealt with? I sure dont have any ideas..

38. Lord Frodo

Lord Frodo Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

Chill my ASS. What you think it is ok to put down or make fun of disabled people.

39. Finley Grant

Finley Grant Babbling Loonie
    Campaign Supporter

Not Sure what Post You read but i dont See that He Made fun of anything. Furthermore that Post was more a Report of Something He Came across a while Back.

Your Post was Rude AF and honestly No one is forcing someone to Go somwhere Else and kill people...

If His Report is what IT Looks Like the vet used RMT to make extra Dollar so IT was His own choice to do so...

Chrille and petemage like this.
  40. petemage

petemage Lore Master

If you try to find a technical solution, you will end up in an arms race that you can't win.

You will see gold sellers in chat in many MMOs. It's not any different in Star Trek Online or Final Fantasy 14 and they even have way bigger teams working on them I presume. You can put in some filters, but spammers only get creative in abusing spelling and wording like ฬฬฬ.๓ץŦคภςץรเՇє.ς๏๓ or "≋w≋w≋w≋.≋m≋y≋f≋a≋n≋c≋y≋s≋i≋t≋e≋.≋c≋o≋m≋".

41. Lady Kyo

Lady Kyo Journeyman

So, has Atlantic's most loved 2 week Trial user/Help Chat spammer finally on Gen Chat, Wing? :eyes:

Treasure Hunter likes this.
  42. Anonymous UOPlayer

Anonymous UOPlayer Journeyman

then make your own game or find another one that allows whatever conduct you love doing that's against the rules. lol.

Lord Frodo and Keith of Sonoma like this.
  43. HoneythornGump

HoneythornGump Lore Keeper

Funny...you think because I check some box that I didn't even bother to read that it's going to curb my playstyle. I'll do as I want...if they want don't want me doing something they can change the game mechanics.

I'm not going to have your ethics, or the Devs ethics shoved down my throat.

Catch me if you can....:thumbup:

#93 HoneythornGump, Apr 16, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  44. Pawain

Pawain Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

upload_2018-4-16_18-22-1.png

Lord Frodo likes this.
  45. Yadd of Legends

Yadd of Legends Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Campaign Supporter

Lol. I'm not endorsing your "I just lied" statement, but this part is pretty funny and really pretty accurate :thumbup1:

Lord Frodo likes this.
  46. Lore

Lore Lore Keeper

They are just mad because they have some fairy godmother on their shoulder that tells them not to be naughty and they don't want others to have an advantage where they had none. They created and nurtured this bad economy and how dare other people do what they can to catch up. It's the whole cursing thing on an obscene level. The length players in this game go to in order to make sure you don't use a curse word is just ridiculous and I've never seen it's like in any other game.

They are literally the kids that went to bed instead of snuck out to make-out with each other or have a great time making memories. The sad part is it's a video game and breaking the rules is part of the fun. I haven't met one programmer that doesn't like to break stuff or manipulate rules.

47. Spartan

Spartan Sage

If I hadn't ummmm, stepped over the line a few times, work would have been sooooo boring. The dark side pulled me in a bit but when I could point to the objective met, the boss did know better than to ask how I did it. <shrug> Da debbil made me do it! I swear! :gee:

PS - Dilbert is sooo close to the mark many times!

48. HoneythornGump

HoneythornGump Lore Keeper

The idea that players should police themselves via a TOS agreement is laughable.

The fact that someone thinks it's still worthwhile to login and spam/advertise after almost 20 years should be viewed as a good thing rather than annoyance, or a violation of some stupid rules that is up to the Devs to enforce, not the goodwill of the players to abide by.

I think players need worry about when there is NO ONE spamming to sell gold in the game.

And for the record it's not me...I just find it pathetic the whiners and crybabies on this forum.

UO is akin to a house that is burning down, and people are inside adjusting the picture frame.

Any effort or passion people have for this game is a good thing...

49. celticus

celticus Lore Keeper

Lots of games, including MMORPG's have rules of conduct. So does UO.
    If the spamming and advertising for gold and items is against the rules, then the spammers/sellers are likely playing a dangerous game, and if they get caught, they could get banned.
    Even banning is not permanent, it can be appealed lots of times, I hear.
    There is nothing wrong in having rules of conduct in an open game like this, including language filters, and racism/sexism/etc filters. Don't forget we have a mixed population, including young children in the game, as I gather from some of the posts, so we kinda need to keep it clean.
    Same thing with scripting. If you get caught you sustain the consequences, you and I know the danger.
    This game is touted to be in flames for more than a decade, yet it still stands, and there are more people coming in one way or another including right now and in the months to come.
    I don't think that people here are crybabies. They are are free to express their concerns about the game as they please, and for the most time they are pretty civil. The comments are all welcome and lots make good sense most of the time.

50. celticus

celticus Lore Keeper

Also changing the game mechanics if easier said than done..Any change in the code brings unwanted side effects, that can take long time to fix?